Sony today introduced its fourth generation WH-1000XM5 wireless noise-canceling headphones, after rumours. There is a change is design compared to the predecessor, so you can’t fold the headphones.
So, there is a new soft matching case in the box. The collapsible case can be made up to 40% thinner for easy storage in a bag, says Sony. It retains the same 30 hours of battery life, even though rumours revealed it will be higher, but the headphones come with fast charging support.
Highlights of Sony WH-1000XM5
- Four microphones on each earcup, two processors controlling them
- Auto NC Optimizer for automatically optimizes noise-cancelling based on your wearing conditions and environment such as atmospheric pressure.
- Ambient sound is captured even more accurately for a dramatic reduction in high frequency noise.
- New Integrated Processor V1 unlocks the full potential of HD Noise Cancelling Processor QN1. This unique combination of technology controls eight microphones to deliver unprecedented noise-cancelling quality, adds Sony.
- Specially designed 30mm driver unit featuring a soft edge enhances noise-cancelling, especially in low frequency ranges.
- Carbon fiber composite material realizes light weight and high rigidity dome and improves sound clarity, especially in high frequency ranges.
- Premium lead-free solder containing gold offers excellent conductivity, Fine Sound Resistor for even power distribution, and optimised circuitry for an improved signal-to-noise ratio to ensure clear, consistent sound.
- LDAC transmits approximately three times more data than conventional Bluetooth audio for exceptional High-Resolution Audio quality
- Using Edge-AI (Artificial Intelligence), DSEE Extreme upscales compressed digital music files in real time.
- Precise Voice Pickup Technology uses four beamforming microphones and an AI-based noise reduction algorithm to isolate your voice precisely. A newly developed wind noise reduction structure minimises wind noise during calls. Wherever you are, you’ll always hear and be heard clearly.
- Adaptive Sound Control is a smart function that senses where you are and what you’re doing, then adjusts ambient sound settings for the ideal listening experience. When activated, it learns your behaviour and recognises locations that you frequently visit, such as your workplace or a favourite café, and tailors sound to suit the situation.
- As soon as you start a conversation, Speak-to-Chat automatically stops your music and lets in ambient sound. Uses microphones built into your headphones and advanced audio signal processing to recognise and react to your voice. Once your chat is over, your music starts playing again automatically
- Multipoint connection lets you pair two Bluetooth devices at the same time
- These lightweight headphones are finished in newly developed soft fit leather. This material fits snugly around the head with less pressure on the ears while keeping out external sounds.
- 30 hours of battery life. Fast charging offers 3 hours worth of charge after just 3 minutes with a USB-PD compatible AC adapter.
Pricing and availability
The Sony WH-1000XM5 headphones come in Black and Silver colours and are priced at $400 (Rs. 30,960 approx.) compared to $350 in the predecessor. It is already available to pre-order in the US and will ship