Support for Android apps was added to Windows 11 to make it easier for users to download and run Android apps on a Windows PC. Several new features and an upgrade to Android 12.1 have been added to the Windows Subsystem for Android (WSA) as part of Microsoft’s latest release.
Windows Insiders in the Dev Channel will be the first to get the Windows Subsystem for Android update on Windows 11. This new update (version 2204.40000.15.0) brings several interesting new features and improvements, including Android 12.1, improved Windows integration, and a new Settings app.
What’s New on Windows 11 WSA update?
- The experience has been upgraded to Android 12.1
- Optional Diagnostic Data: The optional diagnostic data collection setting in the Windows Subsystem for Android Settings app is now turned off by default.
- Advanced Networking: The Windows Subsystem for Android in the latest Insider Preview releases (OS Build 22621+) has better networking, so Android apps can connect to devices on the same network as your Windows PC. You may play your favorite content on a speaker on the very same network, or set up a security camera or even other smart home device with an Android app for advanced networking.
- Settings app redesign: Windows Subsystem for Android Settings has been revamped with clearer settings categories, grouped navigation, and a cleaner user experience.
- Improvements to Windows integration: Additionally, Windows taskbar icons reveal which Android apps use the microphone, location, or other system services, similarly for Android and iOS. There will also be an auto-hidden taskbar for Android apps. This is available for Windows 11 Insiders with version 22621.
- Improvements to camera and Input devices in Android apps: The camera in Android apps and input device support have also been optimized. These include camera orientation, better scroll-wheel support, onscreen keyboard focus, and Android software keyboard display.
For those who are affiliates of the Windows Insiders programme, the new WSA update 2204.40000.15.0 can be downloaded from the Microsoft Store. The complete changelog can be found here.