The Redmi Note 11S is the fifth Note 11 model we are reviewing, and just when we thought our review series was finally complete, we received its 5G-enabled sibling as well.
The Redmi Note 11S is a more powerful version of the vanilla Redmi Note 11. Borrowing hardware from the Redmi Note 11 Pro, the Note 11S has a snappier Helio G96 chipset (up from Snapdragon 680), which is coupled with more RAM and a 108MP primary camera (up from 50MP). Meanwhile, the 11S has a smaller display than the Note 11 Pro and a slower 33W charging.
The Redmi Note 11S looks like the rest of the Redmi Note 11 phones – an IP53-rated flat design with a large rectangular camera island on the back. Its centerpiece is the 6.43-inch 1080p AMOLED screen with a 90Hz refresh rate.
The Redmi Note 11S employs this year’s Xiaomi mid-range camera combo with a 108MP primary, an 8MP ultrawide, and a 2MP macro cams, plus a 2MP depth sensor. The front camera is a 16MP shooter, and all cameras (except for the macro) support 1080p video capturing.
Finally, the Redmi Note 11S has a 5,000mAh battery, a typical capacity for the Note series. It supports 33W fast charging, and it ships with the corresponding power adapter. The Pro models, on the other hand, support 67W fast charging.
Here is the complete specs sheet of the Redmi Note 11S.
Xiaomi Redmi Note 11S specs at a glance:
- Body: 159.9×73.9×8.1mm, 179g; ; IP53, dust and splash resistant, Gorilla Glass 3 front, glass back, plastic frame.
- Display: 6.43″ AMOLED, 90Hz, 700 nits, 1000 nits (peak), 1080x2400px resolution, 20:9 aspect ratio, 409ppi, Gorilla Glass 3.
- Chipset: Mediatek Helio G96 (12 nm): Octa-core (2×2.05 GHz Cortex-A76 & 6×2.0 GHz Cortex-A55); Mali-G57 MC2.
- Memory: 64GB 6GB RAM, 128GB 6GB RAM, 128GB 8GB RAM; UFS 2.2; microSDXC (dedicated slot).
- OS/Software: Android 11, MIUI 13.
- Rear camera: Wide (main): 108 MP, f/1.9, 26mm, 1/1.52″, 0.7µm, PDAF; Ultra wide angle: 8 MP, f/2.2, 118˚; Macro: 2 MP, f/2.4; Depth: 2 MP, f/2.4.
- Front camera: 16 MP, f/2.5, (wide), 1/3.06″ 1.0µm.
- Video capture: Rear camera: 1080p@30fps; Front camera: 1080p@30fps.
- Battery: 5000mAh; Fast charging 33W, 100% in 58 min (advertised), Power Delivery 3.0, Quick Charge 3+.
- Misc: Fingerprint reader (side-mounted); Infrared port; 3.5mm jack.
The Redmi Note 11S looks like a balanced lower mid-range offer with a good AMOLED screen, one versatile camera with a high-res primary, as well as stereo speakers, a large battery with fast charging, and a chipset that should be enough for a smooth experience. All these are wrapped within a likable shell with basic waterproofing.
It’s not all promising, though. The Redmi Note 11S GPU is inferior to the one used on the previous Note 10S model. And there is no 4K video capturing – something the Note 10S could do. Finally, MIUI 13 is available out of the box, yet it runs on top of the older Android 11 OS.
Still, we are living in challenging times, and we can imagine the manufacturers have to go through many hurdles to push a new phone and keep the price as low as possible. And with that being said, let’s unbox this Redmi Note 11S and see what happens.
Unboxing the Redmi Note 11S
The Redmi Note 11S retail bundle is quite familiar. The box contains the phone, a 33W power adapter, and a 3A-rated USB cable.
Just like other Xiaomi models, this one also ships with a soft transparent case and a cheap-looking protective film you’d need to apply by yourself.